Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Waiting for Winter to End

 
 
 

Waiting for Winter to End

 

Outside to the east,

my garden slumbers

under a mat of leaves,

still slick with the last

ice crystals of winter.

 

Not one crocus

pushes purple fingers

through a sleeve of snow,

to fling out its fist

full of robin song.

Not one.

 

And no hardy squill

splits the worn brown skin

of an old oak leaf,

to trumpet its fresh blues.

 

Inside to the west,

the sun coaxes ladybugs

out of the crevices,

away from their sleep.

 

I listen to them dancing

tap-tap-tapping

between the window panes.

 

I watch them whirling,

kicking up their heels,

clicking their red wings.

 

They are keeping time

as Spring hums her own

intoxicating tune;

this throb so ancient,

nothing can resist.

 

Words and photo are copyright ©Carol Steel.

 
 
 
 


4 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

What a lovely piece!

Carol Steel said...

Thanks Mama Zen. I hope spring weather comes soon.

Jane Tims said...

Hi Carol. I like the repetition of 'not one'. I have seen ladybugs in our camp, trying to hide out for winter. Your poem gives a vivid image of the sight and sound of the ladybugs waking from their sleep. Jane

Carol Steel said...

Thanks Jane. It's always good to receive feedback from you. And helpful because you mention the bits that work. I appreciate it.