Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Robins Sing of Spring



Robins are singing of spring. 
They sit in our staghorn sumacs and eat the scarlet fruit cones.   These cones are eaten from the top down and look like half-nibbled cobs of corn.  Enough fruit cones remain to see them through until spring arrives.


Robins flit through our yard, sit in the maples, warm themselves on top of the pergola and sing.  Robins are singing.
Robins are singing of spring and I feel happy.


All photos are mine.

5 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

our robins (which look so different from yours!) are singing of spring too. Recently in fact I've had them fly right in front of me and start singing at me,

Ruth @ Camellia Rose said...

Lovely photos! The birds and berries look so bright against the snow.

Carol Steel said...

Hi CGP,
What a delight to have robins fly before you and sing to you. Today we have rain. Boy, do we have rain and the snow is melting. I feel like singing too.

Carol Steel said...

Ruth,

The robins and sumac cones against the snow make my favourite pictures. I love the contrasts, too.

Carol Steel said...

To CGP again,

My bird book, by Roger Burrows, says that: "The American Robin was nmaed by English colonists after the Robin (Erithacus rubecula) of their native land. Both birds look and behave similarly, even though they are only distantly related. The American Robin's closet European relative is, in fact, the Blackbird ( T. merula), which is identical in all aspects except plummage."